Dr. Jack L. Arnold
I. DEFINITION: A work of the Holy Spirit on a person’s mind so he can understand the spiritual meaning of Scripture. Illumination casts light on inspired revelation. It is the teaching and enlightening the individual in whom the Holy Spirit dwells.
II. SCRIPTURAL BLINDNESS
Israel’s Blindness (Rom. 11:25). Sovereign Blindness.
Gentile Blindness (Eph. 4:17-19). Natural blindness of the human mind and heart because of sin – “there is none who understand “ (Rom. 3:10).
Satanic Blindness (2 Cor. 4:3-4). All unregenerate people (Jews and Gentiles) are blinded by Satan so they cannot understand the gospel and be saved (Rom. 1:19-32). CURE: Regeneration, a new mind, Holy Spirit enlightenment.
Carnal (Fleshly) Blindness (I Cor. 2:6-3:4). Baby Christians (fleshy) and rebellious Christians (fleshly) are in need of Holy Spirit enlightenment (2 Peter 1:8-11). CURE: Confession, yielding to the Holy Spirit, a teachable spirit.
III. HOW ILLUMINATION WORKS
1. Eyes are spiritually opened to the meaning of Scripture (Luke 24:13-32)
2. Powerful truths are driven home to the mind, reaching the soul land the spirit (Matt. 16:15-17).
3. Guidance in the general truths of Scripture (John 16:12-15).
4. Receiving the mind of Christ (I Cor. 2:6-5:4)
5. Teaching of the truths of Scripture are made real and vital (I John 2:27).
IV. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS OF ILLUMINATION
1. Christians need to pray for their own enlightenment to truth and they need to pray for other Christians that they will be enlightened to revealed Scripture (Eph. 1:17-19).
2. 2. At no time does a Christian have complete enlightenment on the Scriptures. It is a lifetime process. The Christian is always learning new truth and also learning how to apply old truth.
3. The Christian must have a yielded spirit to the leading, guiding and illuminating work of the Holy Spirit. We all must have the supernatural illumination of the Holy Spirit to have enlightened minds that want to apply divine truth.
4. Beware of the Christian who says, “There is one inspired Bible. There is one Holy Spirit who is the supreme teacher; therefore, there is one true interpretation of Scripture. I have the Holy Spirit. I am yielded to the Holy Spirit. Therefore, my interpretation of Scripture is the correct one and everyone else is wrong!”