©Dr. Jack L. Arnold
Pastors International, Inc.
Glossary of Terms
- Allegorical Interpretation: A
going behind the plain meaning of scripture to the deeper spiritual
- Amillennial: A word that means
“no one thousand.” This is a
theory that states that the millennium is real but spiritual and refers to
the period of time between the first and second advents of Christ. This period either refers to the
reign of martyred saints in heaven or saints on earth in the inter-advent
- Antichrist: A yet future character that will
come to power in the tribulation before the Lord returns.
- Apocalyptic: Biblical prophetic
language that is basically figurative and symbolical.
- Chiliasm: A Greek word meaning one thousand.
- Church: The “called out ones.”
- Covenants: The promises God made to Israel in
the Old Testament: Abrahamic,
Palestinian, Davidic, Mosaic and New Covenants.
- Didactic: A teaching passage of scripture
not filled with figurative language.
This is a theory that makes a sharp distinction between Israel and
the church. The outcome is a
premillennialism that sees the second advent of Christ occurring in two stages
either (one for the church and one for Israel) before or in the middle of
the tribulation period.
- Eschatology: A study of last
- Finalism: This is another word used of amils. This view states that all of the
prophecies of the Old Testament, which will end with the second advent.
- Great Tribulation: A
period, probably 3 ½ years, of tribulation before the second advent.
- Hermeneutics: The laws for the
interpretation of scripture.
- Historic Premillennial: A
type of premillennialism that sees the church going through the tribulation
and will be raptured just before (or at the same time) the second advent
of Jesus Christ. This view
also acknowledges the church to be spiritual Israel and stresses the
similarities between Israel and the church.
- Imminency: Christ can return at any moment
without any signs being fulfilled.
- Kingdom: The rule of Christ whether
spiritual or earthly.
- Millennium: A Latin word meaning one
thousand. Theologically it
refers to a yet future golden age.
- Midtribulational Rapture:
The church will be caught up in the middle of the seven year
- Partial Rapture: Only the spiritual
Christians in the church will be caught up, and the rest of the
unspiritual Christians will be left to go through the Tribulation.
- Premillennial: A word that
actually means “before one thousand.” This is a theory that states that Christ will return in
His second advent and establish an earthly kingdom for one thousand
- Presuppositions: Basic underlying
facts or assumptions behind a given thought or concept.
- Pretribulational Rapture:
The church will be caught up before the Tribulation; therefore, it
escapes the sufferings on the Tribulation period.
- Postmillennial: A word meaning
“after one thousand.” This is
a theory that states that the millennium will occur on earth and then
Christ will return.
- Posttribulational Rapture:
The church will be caught up at the end of the Tribulation at the
time of the second advent.
- Progressive Dispensationalism: A
relatively new type of dispensationalism that sees a much closer
relationship between the Old and New Testaments. Therefore, there is not a clear distinction between
Israel and the church. They
even call the church spiritual Israel. Yet, they are still pretribulational and premillennial.
- Rapture: A Latin word that means, “to be
caught up.” Biblically this
refers to what will happen to the church at the coming of Christ and the
- Realized Millennialism:
This is an amil concept, which states that the millennium is already
realized in the gospel age.
- Recapitulation: To repeat or go
back over something.
- Second Advent: Christ will return
to this earth literally and bodily.
- Spiritualization: A
giving up of a literal interpretation for a spiritual interpretation of
- Tribulation: A yet future period
or unprecedented trouble for the world that will end at the second advent
- Unrealized Millennialism:
The millennium has not yet been actually realized in history.